Take a step back in time and put a vintage spin on the Duncan® Oh Four® Geometrix plates. Duncan® Concepts® Underglazes and French Dimensions™ offer just the right color palette to create a serving plate that just might have been found serving Grandma’s famous Christmas fudge.
1. Wipe ware with damp sponge to remove bisque dust.
2. From pattern, trace “Joy” and large flowers on contact paper. Cut out flowers with scissors and craft knife for “Joy”.
3. From top of plate, measure 8” down. With pencil, make a light line to follow for “Joy” placement.
4. Remove sticky backing from flowers and “Joy”. Position and adhere “Joy” to plate with bottom of “Y” at the 8” mark. Position flower stencils as shown in photo.
5. Carefully sponge two coats Neon Chartreuse over plate and right over the stenciled letters and flowers. Let between coats.
6. While paint is still damp from second coat, lay the strip of lace down the right side approximately 4” in from edge. Refer to photo. Tap down lace on damp paint to adhere. Let dry.
7. With lace still in place, sponge a third coat of Neon Chartreuse over the entire plate and over the lace. Let dry. Remove lace and stencils.
8. Use pattern, carbon paper and pencil to transfer pattern onto white areas of plate.
9. Brush three coats Bright Butternut in the very center of top flower and inner petals area of bottom flower. Let dry after each coat.
10. Paint three coats Neon Red to outer petal area of top flower. Let dry after each coat.
11. Brush three coats of Dark Wine to star shaped area of top flower and the outer petals of the bottom flower. Let dry after each coat.
12. Paint center of bottom flower with three coats Dark Kelp. Let dry after each coat. Using Liner brush, paint lines bursting from center and outline the Butternut design also with Dark Kelp.
13. Referring to photo, use Liner brush to paint two coats of Dark Kelp shadows on “Joy.” Let dry after each coat.
14. Trace scroll design on tracing paper. Place carbon paper on right side of plate with lace imprint and tracing on top. Pencil over lines to transfer image on top of lace imprint.
15. Using Liner brush, paint two coats Deep Wine on scroll and floral designs. Let dry after each coat.
16. Use back end of paintbrush to dot center of small flowers with Dark Kelp.
17. Shake each French Dimensions color and test on paper towel for even flow. Apply colors in the following manner:
• French Really Red: outline outer petals of the top flower
• Black Licorice: add dots in center of top flower and outline bottom flower
• French Kiwi: add dots in center of bottom flower and outline lace edging
18. Using end of brush, make Bright Butternut dots in center of bottom flower. Also with brush end, make random dots of Light Kiwi and Dark Kelp around plate. Let dry.
19. Carefully sponge Pure Brilliance over the “Joy” and any white bisque areas. Let dry.
20. Sponge one light coat Pure Brilliance over entire plate. Let dry.
21. Sponge or brush two coats Pure Brilliance to back of plate. Let dry after each coat.
1. Trace pattern with pencil onto contact paper. Cut out and adhere to center of plate. Basecoat front and back with three coats Neon Red, going over stencil. Let dry after each coat. Remove contact paper stencil.
2. Use pattern, tracing paper, carbon paper and pencil to transfer pattern to plate.
3. Refer to photo and paint in flower using the color palette of Concepts® Neon Red, Light Kiwi, Dark Wine, Dark Kelp and Dark Butternut and French Dimensions Black Licorice.