Whether you have a flower garden or not, you can always dine in the company of lovely florals with a little help from Cover-Coat® Opaque Underglazes! The Duncan® Oh Four™ Athenian Goblet and Chef Entrée Dish make the perfect canvas for a spring medley.
1. Wipe both plate and goblet with dampened sponge to remove bisque dust.
- Pour puddle of Ivory Pearl on foil. Using Fan Glaze brush, paint three coats on inside and outside of goblet, avoiding stem. Let dry between coats.
- Pour a puddle of Morocco Red on foil and brush three coats from the bottom of stem upward, lightly blending into the Ivory Pearl at the base of cup portion. Let dry between coats.
- Pour a smaller amount of Cobalt Crystal Black on foil and brush two coats around base of stem, blending into the Morocco Red and letting dry between coats.
- Place clay carbon paper on the Ivory Pearl cup portion of goblet with pattern on top. Use pen to trace around flower to transfer design onto goblet or freehand draw flower with pencil if desired.
- Using the No. 6 Round, dip into Morocco Red and paint in flower petals by pressing tip of brush at top of petal and pressing and pulling bristles toward center of flower. Apply three coats, letting dry between coats. Paint center of flower with three coats of Morocco Red.
- Mix a little bit of Cobalt Crystal Black into the Morocco Red to darken and paint detail in petals and shadows on back petals with the No. 4 Liner.
- Pour a small amount of Avocado on foil. Using the No. 4 Liner, paint a thin stem extending from flower to base of goblet. Refer to photo.
- Make a cluster of dots around outer center of flower with French Scarlet French Dimensions™. Squeeze dots in the very center of flower with Black Licorice. Let dry.
- Using Fan Glaze brush, brush one coat of Pure Brilliance™ onto goblet, leaving underside of stem unglazed. Let dry. Pour Pure Brilliance™ into a paper cup and dilute with water. Brush over first coat of Pure Brilliance™ and let dry.
- Fire to cone 06.
- Pour a puddle of Ivory Pearl on clean piece of foil. Turn plate to reverse side and brush three coats of Ivory Pearl on backside, letting dry between coats.
- Turn plate to front and brush three coats of Ivory Pearl onto the concave portion, letting dry between coats. Refer to photo.
- Brush three coats of Morocco Red on the remaining area of plate and blending into the Ivory Pearl along the bottom of concave portion, letting dry after each coat. Dip brush into Cobalt Crystal Black and paint a small area on the bottom right corner, blending into the Morocco Red. Let dry.
- Transfer floral patterns as instructed above or freehand draw if desired.
- Use the No. 6 Round to paint flower petals on the flat part of plate with Light Yellow, using the press and pull technique described in Step 6 and leaving the center areas Morocco Red. Let dry and brush a second coat over the top layer of petals only. Detail as described in Step 7 with the No. 4 Liner, mixing Cobalt Crystal Black into the Light Yellow. Paint centers of flowers Cobalt Crystal Black.
- Pour puddles of Avocado and Everglade Green on foil. Use the No. 6 Round to paint leaves very loosely with Avocado. Brush Everglade Green in center areas of leaves with the No. 4 Liner. Mix a small amount of Cobalt Crystal Black into the Everglade Green and use the No. 4 Liner to paint veins in leaves.
- Make a cluster of dots around the outer centers of flowers with French Straw French Dimensions and a cluster of dots in the very centers with Kiwi. Let dry.
- Brush a small amount of Cobalt Jet Black in areas around flowers to add dimension. Let dry.
- Create flower in concave section with the same colors used for goblet. Let dry.
- Using Fan Glaze brush, brush one coat of Pure Brilliance™ onto plate. Let dry. Pour Pure Brilliance™ into a paper cup and dilute with water. Brush over first coat of Pure Brilliance™ and let dry.
- Stilt and fire to cone 06.