Start a spending freeze and save your coins in the Duncan® Oh Four® Tiny Tot Chilly Bank. Concepts® Underglazes and Duncan® Fired Snow gives this adorable arctic animal a look that’s a twist on the traditional tuxedo.
1. Wipe ware with damp sponge to remove bisque dust.
2. Paint three coats Bright Nautical to penguin’s head, fins and back. Refer to photo. Let dry after each coat.
3. Paint three coats Bright Butternut to beak and feet. Let dry after each coat.
4. Using Liner brush, paint eyes and toenails with two good coats Black. Let dry after each coat.
5. Dip pencil eraser into the Bright Nautical and gently stamp one dot onto center of penguin’s tummy. Next, dip pencil eraser into the Neon Red and make dots around the Bright Nautical dot.
6. Use the back end of paintbrush handle to make a small dot of Bright Butternut on each side of penguin’s cheeks. Make Neon Red dots around Bright Butternut dots. Let dry.
7. Use Liner brush loaded with Apple Green and brush leaves on flippers and leaves on penguin’s back.
8. Make more pencil dots to create Neon Red flower with Bright Butternut center on back of penguin just above the tail. Add Apple Green leaves on each side below flower. Let dry.
9. Scratch in stem between leaves on flippers and back. Make to scratch deep enough to ensure the white bisque shows through.
10. Carefully sponge on Pure Brilliance to white areas of penguin being careful not to smudge colors into the light areas. Let dry. Add a second sponging to entire penguin. Let dry.
11. Use Palette Knife to stir Fired Snow. Use palette knife to apply the snow to top of penguin’s head leaving coin slot open. Add a little snow to penguin’s beak, flippers and toes. Let dry.
12. Stilt and fire to witness cone 06.
NOTE: If desired, fire penguin without the Pure Brilliance at witness cone 06. Once the colors have set, brush one coat of Pure Brilliance to face and stomach (white) areas. Let dry. Apply a second, more diluted Pure Brilliance coat to entire penguin. Firing twice may prevent any smearing of colors when brushing on Pure Brilliance.