A traditional Asian color palette paired with bamboo leaves design create this dramatic Sushi Set. Combine three Concepts® colors with sponging and spattering for the textured effects.
1. Wipe ware with damp sponge to remove any dust.
2. To glaze inside of soy sauce pot and sake decanter, work with one piece at a time. Pour Dark Black inside each piece and roll around to evenly coat the inside. Pour excess glaze out, and wipe away any drips with damp sponge. Let dry.
3. Use ¼”-wide masking tape to tape off following areas: indented line on all plates, around sake decanter about 3-1/2” down from top, around soy sauce pot about 1-¼” down from top, ¾”-wide vertical band on right side of each panel on rice/soup bowl (see photo for placement), 1-½” section on sake cup and inner sides on sauce dish (leaving bottom untaped).
4. Large Sushi Platter: Pour small puddle of Bright Ginger and Really Red on separate areas of foil. Use sponge to sponge 2 coats of Bright Ginger to left side of large sushi platter. Let dry after each coat. For 3rd coat, sponge Really Red in random areas and blend into Bright Ginger for a mottled look. Let dry.
5. Pour a puddle of Dark Black on foil. Lightly lightly dip dry Fan Glaze brush tips into Dark Black. Gently wipe off excess on paper towel, then very lightly brush over the sponged area.
6. Load Round Opaque brush with Dark Black, hold brush above piece and run your fingertips through bristles to spatter color right over the decorated areas. Let dry completely.
7. Remove tape and retape to immediate left of indented line (tape right over painted section).
8. Trace bamboo leaves pattern on contact paper, using clay carbon and pencil. Cut out, peel backing and place on sushi platter, pressing down firmly to prevent color from leaking underneath.
9. Use Fan Glaze brush to apply 3 coats of Dark Black over unpainted front areas and back of platter. Let dry after each coat. While last coat is still slightly damp, gently remove stencil. Let dry.
10. Use Liner and Round brushes as needed to apply 3 coats of Bright Ginger to bamboo leaves. Let dry after each coat.
11. Square and small sushi plates: Repeat sponging and spattering steps above on left side of taped off area. Use Fan Glaze brush to apply 3 coats of Really Red to right side of small sushi plate and Bright Ginger to square sushi plate. Let dry after each coat.
12. Trace bamboo leaf pattern on square and small sushi plates with clay carbon and pencil.
13. Use Liner and Round brushes as needed to apply 3 coats of Dark Black to bamboo leaves. Let dry after each coat.
14. Use Round Opaque brush with Dark Black to spatter background.
15. Use Fan Glaze brush to apply 3 coats of Dark Black to backs of plates. Let dry after each coat.
16. Sake Decanter and Soy Sauce container: Repeat sponging steps below taped off sections. Let dry.
17. Trace bamboo leaf pattern or freehand leaves on one side of each container.
18. Use Liner and Round brushes as needed to apply 3 coats of Dark Black to bamboo leaves. Let dry after each coat. Remove tape.
19. Measure about 1” space above sponged area on decanter. Use tape to mark guideline. Also measure ½” above sponged area on soy sauce container and mark with tape.
20. Use Round brush to apply 3 coats of each following color to specified areas. Let dry after each coat.
Bright Ginger: 1” band above sponged area.
Really Red: ¾”-wide band above Bright Ginger band.
Dark Black: remaining area on upper area of sake decanter.
Soy Sauce Container
Really Red: ½”: band above sponged area and completely over lid.
Dark Black: spout and remaining top area.
Rice/Soup Bowl, SAuce Dish, Sake Cup and Chopstick Holder
Repeat sponge and spatter treatment on all sides of bowl, one section on outside of sake cup and inside bottom of sauce dish. Let dry. Remove tape.
21. Use Round brush to apply 3 coats of each following color to specified areas. Let dry after each coat.
Really Red: corner areas on rice/soup bowl, outside of sauce dish and one outside section of sake cup.
Dark Black: inside and remaining strip on outside of rice/soup bowl, outside of sauce dish, one outside section of sake cup and inside cup, remaining unpainted areas on sauce dish and completely over chopstick holder.
Bright Ginger: one outside section of sake cup.
22. All Pieces: Use Fan Glaze brush to apply 2 flowing coats of Clear Glaze completely over each piece. Let dry after each coat.
23. Stilt and fire to shelf cone 06.